Overview from the top.
Overview from the bottom when it shrink.

Working image

Type 
Group Project ( Bob Turner , David Leonard , Saki Maruyama , Willa Crolius

Exhibition 
Work In Progress Show 2017 at Royal College of Art
Work In Progress Show 2017 at Imperial College London
Prototyping
We went through series of technical break-throughs by carefully choosing materials to achieve its simple yet beautiful movement. 
Two different types of wire were used. The first was bike cable wire, which was used on the bottom two flowers in each quarter. The second was a stiffer piano wire, which made the flowers stand more upright, hence why it was used for all of the flowers that were pointing up or sideways.
Brass was chosen as a material because it is much harder than aluminium, meaning the friction between the wire and the tubing isn’t too high.
The flowers are made out of white tissue paper. The final flower design is the result of a long ideation process of trying to create the biggest impact while exerting the least amount of force to close the flowers. 
One of the key developments of the final flowers was actually in the hidden part. Behind each flower is an acetate skeleton which helps the flower keep its shape. This skeleton was made into a slight cone as we found the initial collapse of the flower required the most force and this meant the flowers were already in a semi-collapsed state.
The flower stamen was designed in a way to simply hold the flower in place while optimising the capacitive touch features and the cones were designed for easy assembly with a simple tab and slit closing mechanism.

The first technical prototype for a servo motor.
Early stage prototype for its flower head.
3D printed model as brass tubings guide.
Hand banded brass tubes.
Machined pieces.
Iterations of flower shape development.
Development of flower cones.
Details. 
Details from the bottom.
Work In Progress Show at Imperial Collge London
Work In Progress Show at Imperial College London




Back to Top